Wednesday, December 11, 2013

My Co-Workers

I work at a wonderful place filled with wonderful people. I can truly say that I love my job. How many people can honestly say that? I work at a Sports Rehab and Chiropractic facility in Seattle Washington. That's right, sports rehab... 

This means that most everyone I work with is very active and very healthy. I love it! But I also hate it. I sit here, at work, drinking my double shot, soy, no water, chai tea latte feeling awesomely guilty. Why? Well, because I feel like I have to hurry and drink it before a certain doctor gets here and chastises me about how much better a smoothy would be for me than a coffee for breakfast. This is the number one reason I don't like "healthy" people. For some reason, they tend to have this need to share their infinite wisdom with every poor pudgy person they come into contact with. 

There is definitely an optimistic view of working where I do. I mean, it really does make me want to be healthier. Besides wanting to get out from under the pudge cloud that hangs over me, and only me, at work, I get to see the ill effect of access weight on our patients every single day. We are, first and foremost, a chiropractor's office. Chronically overweight people experience chronic pain. Back pain, knee pain, hip, ankle, and foot pain, poor circulation, respiratory problems, and a whole slew of other problems that can only be treated here, not fixed. And right now, my back hurts...

What is the point of talking about where I work? I suppose its to point out that those who suffer from a poor self-image are surrounded by reminders every day. It doesn't matter what you don't like about yourself, or where you work or who you hang out with. I know that you compare yourself to anyone and everyone who walks by. I know because I do it too. 

If you're taking the time out of your day to read this blog, it might be because you can identify with what you're reading. Perhaps you desire change and improvement as much as I do. Maybe you're looking for a friendly stranger you can be accountable to just like I am. Don't be shy. Join me. If you're like me, you've started at square one a hundred times over when it comes to healthy living. Let's start at square one together. I promise I will cheat. But I will be honest, positive, and as entertaining at possible. 

And please, enjoy the stupid latte.  

No comments:

Post a Comment